1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Reading just 1 book a night equals 365 books in a year.
That’s 730 books in 2 years and 1,095 books in three years.
Since most children start kindergarten around age 5, you have more time than you think.
At the Jackson District Library we are interested in promoting life-long reading habits, and helping parents find ways to bond with their children. Our partner Beanstack is a free service provided by the library to help you discover books and apps based on your child’s age and interests. Beanstack’s goal is help prepare your child for school and ensure that he or she is reading at or above grade level by third grade. All books recommended within the Beanstack website are available for free at your Jackson District Library.
So let’s get started! Register at http://myjdl.beanstack.org or any Jackson District Library location beginning March 1, 2017.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten Guide
- This program is for children who have not started Kindergarten yet
- Children may be any age up to 5 to register
- Parents/caregivers may keep track of books read with a paper log — available at your local branch — or on Beanstack
- Children will receive a 1,000 books bag and a pencil for registering.
- For every 100 books a child will earn a digital badge and a rubber ducky.
- After reading 1,000 books, the child will receive a free book.
Nope. Families can participate in this online program — which the library provides for the community at no cost — and not have a library card. However, one thousand books can get pretty expensive. The library has thousands of carefully selected books specific to children in this age group.
For more detailed information about Beanstack, contact the Youth Services Department at 517-788-4087 ext 1331 or visit this FAQ.
How do I sign up?
The concept is simple; the rewards are priceless.
- Register your child at home by visiting the Beanstack website, or visit your local branch to get a librarian's help.
- Read a book to your infant, toddler, or preschooler.
- The goal is to have read 1,000 books before your child starts kindergarten. You can repeat books as many times as you like.
Beanstack Quick Start
Visit myjdl.beanstack.org to get started.
- If you or your child is already registered on Beanstack, you just need to sign up for the program.
- If you have forgotten your password, you can click the “I forgot my password”, enter the email you registered with and reset your password.
- If you have never registered, register at home or register at the library.