In 1939, a library was established in the Vandercook Lake Town Hall. From the beginning there was an emphasis on children’s programming. In 1941, the Sunset Garden Club established a garden center in the library.
Summit Township erected the present building in 1956 on land that was donated by Dr. and Mrs. Chabut. The Jackson District Library renovated and enlarged the building in 1983.