The Meijer Branch evolved out of the former headquarters for the Jackson County Library that had been established in 1928 at West Avenue. This building later became the West Avenue Branch when the Jackson District Library formed in 1978. After consolidation of the City and County library systems, this active branch needed a better location. Fred Meijer of Meijer Thrifty Acres donated the land to the Jackson District Library where the Meijer Branch sits today.
Built in 1983, the new building doubled the size of the library and provided better access and parking. It soon became evident that as the surrounding area expanded, the branch needed to offer even more collections, more computers, and spaces for library and community events. In anticipation of another expansion, the library board decided to purchase the lot next to the Meijer Branch from Fred Meijer.
After nearly a decade, construction finally began on an addition and renovation project in 2013. The completed project was finished in May 2014 and features an interactive family zone, 23 computers, two study rooms and a digital media studio that residents can use for graphic and audio projects. A major highlight of the expanded library is a community room with an adjoining kitchenette that can seat up to 100 people, and can be partitioned into three spaces to host smaller groups.
Numerous amenities such as a fireplace, comfortable seating, and a vending area await visitors during open hours. When the branch is closed, patrons have access to pick up lockers, transforming the location into a 24/7 branch for residents to pick up or drop off materials. The entire library is a WiFi hot spot. The Friends of the Meijer Branch library also operate a used book store.
In 2015 The Meijer branch of the Jackson District Library received the Jackson County Chamber of Commerce's Brick Award, which is awarded yearly to local businesses or institutions that renovate and beautify their buildings.