In 1901, Andrew Carnegie donated $70,000 for the construction of a library building in the City of Jackson. The Carnegie building became the main branch for the newly created district in 1978. In 1981, with a bequest from Mrs. Mable Minter VanOrman, a circular structure was built at the rear of the library. This added an elevator, history room, back lobby, and children’s storytelling room.
The Carnegie building was designated a State Historical Site in 1979 and a National Historical Site in 1980.