Jackson District Library's 19th annual Young Poets Contest is underway! The contest is open to any K-12 student in Jackson County. Read about the contest rules, prizes, and judging below. Submit poems using the form at the bottom of this page.
1. Poems must be the original work of the student.
2. All poems must be received by March 1, 2023.
3. Poems should be no more than one page (maximum of 500 words) in length for grades K-8 and no more than two pages (maximum of 1000 words) for grades 9-12.
4. Poems should be typed out, written neatly, or submitted using the form below.
5. For poems submitted via mail or in person, the student’s name, grade, and school must appear on the back of the poem. No identifying information should appear in the poem or on the poem side of the page.
6. Each poem must be submitted with a student registration form (unless submitted with the online form on our website).
7. Poems may be submitted through a school, a JDL branch, our website entry form, or mailed to:
Jackson District Library
Community Engagement Department
244 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201
8. All poems become the property of the Jackson District Library and will not be returned. The Jackson District Library retains the first rights for publication of prize-winning poems.
1. Four winning entries (First, Second, Third, and Honorable Mention) will be chosen for each grade level.
2. Each participant with a winning entry will receive a copy of the Young Poets book. JDL publishes all the winning entries annually.
1. Poems will be judged by JDL’s Poetry Panel
2. Poems will be judged by grade level.
3. Poems will be scored on the basis of creativity, vocabulary, quality of verse and creative expression.
Young Poets Submission Form
- Get Started